Wednesday 15 July 2009

Ye Old Boot Inn, Whittington, Nr Oswestry

A lovely walk around Whittington Castle on a lovely summers evening marked the Beast's birthday. A meal was most definately in order this time at Ye Old Boot Inn.

For a Tuesday night the place was packed out, three or four "regulars" sat at the bar with their tankards full and a nice lady behind the bar asked us where we wanted to sit.
The menu's were given quickly and we decided on a starter to share of pate with caramalised onions (4.95) and for main course Beast choose Hot and Spicy chicken curry with half rice and half chips (9.95) while Hubby Beast settled on the Pork Lion with Black pudding glaze and creamed leeks with chips and veg (10.95).

Our starter arrived very quickly but Beast's body filled with panic as we discovered there was only 2 extremely small little slices of bread to go with the average sized amount of pate.
I quickly called the waitress over and asked for more bread (major beast point subtracted for having to ask for more bread). I found it hard to hide my disgust when only two more small pieces arrived. It really riled up Beast!! Bread is so cheap, why be so stingy with it.
The pate was average in taste, nothing special, I could probably get similar for a pound or two at Asda. I actually asked the waitress what sort of pate it was as it was not in the description. She didn't know, but she did look about 12 so I will let her off.

The mains arrived and myself and my Beast loving hubby looked at each other in agreement that the portion sizes on the mains were much much better. The food looked really nice.
I'm afraid the taste was not quite as good.
My alleged curry (I say alleged as I'm sure if you asked the head chef at the Simla or the Red Rose in Oswestry to try some of this curry they would piss themselves) tasted suspiciously like Uncle Bens curry sauce and if I'd of wanted that I would of paid a quid for a jar and made it myself at home. The chips were actually really nice and the rice so thats something! It was quite hot the sauce but not that tasty and very tomatoey.
I'm afraid hubby's main was a let down as well. The pork dry and tasteless! It was hard to cut and was not a pleasure to eat and at the price it was a total let down.

The service however was pretty good and friendly and its a nice setting to enjoy food inside the traditional old pub interior and they also have seating outside, but for a really nice meal we won't be returning anytime soon.

Beast Rating: 2.5/5
Room for Ye Old Inn Provement

1 comment:

  1. Good work Beast, good work.
    How dare they deny you sufficient bread. I trust a savage beast bomb was administered.

    timmy lankster

    ReplyDelete