Tuesday 28 July 2009

Royal Hill, Edgerley, Nr Kinnerley.


Well this is a regular favourite of the Beastie’s I have to admit. The Royal Hill, Edgerley, Nr Melverley. You will need directions to find it if you have not been!!
Beast has had many a lovely meal at this establishment. The main attraction of the place is it’s kind of in the middle of nowhere, it’s on the river Severn and it’s cheap as chips. I’m sure the locals won’t thank Beast for revealing there little secret to the world.
The food is really good English pub food. There are no starters and you will see why when your main course is put in front of you. The best thing on the menu in Beast’s opinion is the beef lasagne (a massive slice, homemade served with chips) at £6.50.
Another favourite is the chicken in stilton sauce (also with chips) again at £6.50.
Hubby Beast is fond of the big sirloin steak which I think is £11.50 and is definitely there most expensive dish on the menu.
“If you don’t like chips then beep off” could well be the Royal Hills motto.
Tuesdays are pizza night, don’t try and get anything else off the menu as its pizza’s only, unless you want chips, they can always be arranged. Tuesdays are a bargain, £5.50 for your choice of 5 toppings from about 15-20 on offer. They are 10 inch pizzas and are plenty enough for a big Beast. You can even pay 20p for a box and take it home if you have any left, I didn’t of course!!
Great food, nice beer, cheap prices, nice location, what more could you want. Prepare yourself for it to be busy if the weather is nice, especially on a Tuesday.
Booking is advised!!
This pub is very prone to flooding, which cuts off all society to the pub which becomes its own little island. With the exception of farmers who tractor it to the pub, rock on!! The owner has invested in a “Flood Bus” its basically an old army truck that can Beast threw the water. You part at the crossroads call the pub and the bus comes to collect you. Its awesome!! Whenever there is a lot of rain we think, shall we go to the hill on the flood bus. The bus will not take you back to your car unless have at least 10 pints each so be prepared for that! Only playing they take you back whenever you want you might have to wait for a couple more people to want to leave too understandably. The only downside to the place is that the menu rarely (never) changes but I guess at least you know what you’ll be getting.

Beast Rating 4.5/5

4 comments:

  1. Portions are so big you can't finish them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner & i went recently & unfortunetly ended up with food poisoning.
    You didn't mention how grimy the place is also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rude and discourteous people. Stay away

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six of us ate at the Royal Hill today (Saturday 29th May 2010). Four adults and two children. We adults ate our meal and enjoyed the food and excellent beer. I noticed my youngest grandaughter hadn't eaten her fish gougons and wondered why, because normally she loves fish, so I picked up a piece and tasted it. Then I understood why she had left it. It tasted very unpleasant indeed as though it was well out-of-date and 'off'.
    I mentioned (politely) to the waitress that though we had enjoyed our meal the fish gougons were not palatable. She listened and said, 'sorry'. A moment later she came back and offered us a replacement meal. As we had all finished we declined and she said the chef did not accept our opinion on the fish. I replied that he must then question the quality of his supplier. A moment later the chef arrived. He was clearly in a heated and aggresive state of mind and invited me into the kitchen. He then began very loudly to tell me that I was absolutely wrong to complain and that I was mistaken: the fish was perfectly edible and he trusted his supplier. He took me into the stock room, openened a freezer, took out a frozen pack of gougons, slapped them down and - even more loudly - told me in no uncertain terms I was mistaken.
    I noticed that he was shaking with anger and said quietly that he was failing to communicate sensibly with me. He flew into an uncontrollable rage and ranted at me giving me very little chance to counter his irrationality.
    We left and will never return to the Royal Hilol. Anonymous must have encountered the same person (chef - possibly proprietor) that we did. The concept of the 'customer always being correct' clearly hasn't been adopted at this pub. Be warned - don't complain and expect to be treated reasonably at The Royal Hill, Melverley.
    MikeD (Oswestry)

    ReplyDelete