Monday 6 July 2009

Amanda's cafe, 5 Oswald Road, Oswestry

Walking into Amanda's cafe I was immediately made aware that the population was just the Beast. It was too late to leave as I was spotted by the middle aged man who I assumed was the waiter but later discovered he was a jack of all trades and clearly did the cooking too.
The decor was dated to say the least, if you like the colour lavender then you will love Amanda's.
I ordered mushrooms on toast and my partner in crime ordered a jacket with cheese and beans. Cost was low, my mushrooms were £2.75 and the jacket was around the £3.50 mark. A pot of tea to share washed down the meal. The service in the place was good when the chap was around to serve. There were times when he would disappear into the kitchen for long periods, the once we noticed the most was when we were wanting to pay and had to wait for around 5 mins for him to come to the counter to take our money. The food was mediocre, plain jane, average. Portion size was also average if not a little on the small side for my beastly appetite.

BEAST RATING: 2.5 / 5

2 comments:

  1. never been to Amanda's and can't say I've ever fancied it. it doesn't look very appealing and is a bit on the wrong side of the tracks (not exactly a prime, coffee-sipping location). the owners could do with a bit of advice from Mary Portas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's has been a regular eaterie of mine for several years, being a small family run place I find the atmosphere friendly and the welcome always warm. The selection of meals has always been good, mostly british soul food, comforting meals that satisfy the belly and the heart. For the price and convenience of parking it is my hidden gem of oswestry and whereas many similar places have come and gone locally this place seems to remain, that must be for a good reason.

    ReplyDelete